motor rebuild

When my 8v smoked I rebuilt my spare 8v, and fought to keep the smoking 8v in the car running until I was finished(took me 6 months, but I took A LOT of breaks and it was my first rebuild).  I wouldn't go through a rebuild unless you needed it, and theres a really easy way to tell:  buy or borrow a compression tester!  You can get a good one at Sears for $25.  Low or uneven compression will show if you need a rebuild.  If you squirt a little oil in each cylinder and the test still shows low/uneven compression that means the problem is the headgasket/head, if compression raises it's bad rings.  What color was this smoke?  In general white means you're burning coolant(usually bad headgasket), black/grey/blue means your burning oil(usually bad rings or valvestem seals).  Is the car running hotter than normal?  Have you noticed a drop or lack in power?  In my experience, if you have bad rings the car will smoke all the time, not just intermittently.

-Rob

der flo <derrickmd18@juno.com> wrote:
I was out racing my car last night and all of a sudden it started
shooting smoke out the tail pipe. when I saw this I let off and pulled
over and cut the car off. checked everything and it didn't look like the
headgasket was blown or anything so i let it sit for 10 mins then started
it up. lightly smoked a few seconds then it was ok. I drove the car home
and it didn't smoke once. I'm thinking my rings are shot. I have a spare
motor in my garage and I have a headgasket kit. I'm thinking if I should
rebuild the motor that in my car or rebuild my spare motor and drop it
in. What do u guys think?