  From: Dave Ewing
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2003 1:10 AM
  Subject: Re: 1.8L head on 2.0L block

  Along with Chris's statement, wouldn't you think that the pressure that the
  piston creates when forcing the exhaust out of the cylinder is greater than
  the vacuum that is created via the throttle body?  As far as exhaust is
  concerned (atleast the type of exhaust that most of us are running, fairly
  free flowing) I would have to say that the intake is more restrictive than
  exhaust.  I realize you can increase intake flow by adding a cam or bigger
  TB or whatever but it is limited to some extent or another, the exhaust on
  the other hand only has to exit the head into a pipe.  It doesn't have to
  pass through the air filter, intake boot, TB, intake, etc.  I don't know if
  this is relevant but something that makes sense to me.

  One other point to consider is that I would rather have the exhaust flow a
  little better than the intake (whether the intake ports are hogged out or
  not, either way) so that the heat is leaving the motor more efficiently.
  16v motors run hotter due to their increased compression and the higher rpms
  needed to make useable torque.

  I understand the importance of velocity, speed, etc. but when you consider
  that you could make a smaller port flow better than a larger port then this
  would be an argument against the 1.8 head considering that the 2.0 heads are
  newer and more technology has gone into the port design.  I don't know the
  specifics but wouldn't you agree that VW wants to consistantly improve their
  motors especially with tighter emmissions standards?

  Actually, all of this is rather irrelevant as most power hungry listers have
  already ported and polished their 1.8 or 2.0 heads so stock standards don't
  really apply but I, again, would much rather have a newer head on my car
  that hasn't seen as many miles or as many kids beating it to death.  Since
  the 1.8 heads came on the scirocco/jetta/golf and the 2.0 heads only came on
  the jetta/golf/passat, I'd think that the 1.8 heads on the sciroccos have
  taken the most beating.

  Dave