hey mike...

Intro?  I hate public speaking, good thing this is just semi-public typing...  BTW, I like to kid around.

Anyway... I'm 34, about to get married, live in MD, work in VA, and have had a fondness for these cars ever since I saw them.  Where did it come from?  Well, I've been able to track that down:  The Spy Who Loved Me.  the white Lotus/sub.  I fell hard for that car as soon as I saw it, but knew that it would be a long time before I could get my hands on one.  Well, while a junior(?) in high school, one of my classmates turned 16 and his parents bought him a brand spanking new '85(?) 16v.  Red.  (I went to a private school... lots of money... none of it mine!)  This was close to the Lotus.  I loved it as soon as I saw it.  Years go by and I'm flippin through a girlie magazine, and there's my homeroom angel, on the pages inbetween.  Wait, that's J. Giles.  Years go by and I'm on my own and ready to buy a car.  My step father had always had a bug, so the VW "bug" was in me.  So I bought my first 'rocco ('87 16v black) for $2500.  5 months later it was brutally murdered by some drunk b!tch
 and totaled.  GEICO gave me blue book ($5200) and I bought another ('86 16v red)in better condition.  That was 7 years ago and I'm still driving it.

I found scirocco.org a few years ago and lurked around looking at pics and dreaming of what my car could be if I wasn't lazy, had money, and took care of it.  Recently, I kicked myself in the butt and got moving on some things (hence, the marriage, better job, etc.).  I had the engine rebuilt.  I just started driving it again after it being parked for a year or so (before rebuild).  I decided (partly based on the amount of $$ involved in the rebuild) to start fixing what I could myself.  Therefor, I joined the list and started asking all these "newbie" questions.

I hope I have not offended/annoyed anyone.  I did tend to just jump right in with the comments to topics that might not concern me, but as I said, I'm a funny guy and like to "seed the hills" with my humor.

I love my car.  I will never give it up, unless forced to.  I wish I had gotten involved a little (well, a LOT) sooner and maybe I could have saved some money.  I really wish I had known about Cincy before it happened instead of two days after.

What more you want to know?

Mike

Allyn <amalventano@sc.rr.com> wrote:
hey, mike, umm, you like came outta nowhere at the start of the month. give
us an intro or something, would ya? ya know, where from, details about your
rocco, etc...
Al

word (wûrd)
interj. Slang. Used to express approval or an affirmative response to something. Sometimes used with up. Source