From: <joshhignight@techography.net>
To: "Scirocco List" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 7:17 PM
Subject: Bent valves?

Related to most of my quetions lately, what are characteristics of bent
valves?

I took a head to the machine shop that had come off an engine that had a
stripped timing belt. Shop took head apart, it was flat and the valves
weren't bent according to them. They did a valve job (recut the seats) and
put everything back together.

I put the thing back together and I'm pretty sure I have the timing marks
lined up properly (0 on the flywheel, and line on cam gear lines up to line
on valve cover). The car is hard to start and stumbles badly. While driving,
it runs smooth, but surges/looses power a lot (minimal gain loses, but you
can feel it pull or not pull while I hold the gas pedal in the same spot).
It runs really REALLY gutless until about 2.5K rpm, but runs fine all the
way to redline (although not as powerfully as it used to).

So is my timing just off, or is it possible the valves are actually bent and
the machine shop missed them?

Thanks for any clues.

Joshua