question for those who know engine blocks...

Alright, after putting some things together in my head I think I have a pretty good theory on why my engine(rebuilt 15k ago) overheats and acts like the headgasket is going out.  A few months ago when I dropped the oilpan(was replacing the pump) I found a small pebble-sized piece of cast iron, part of it was shiny and thus appeared to have been sheared off by an overtorqued bolt.  I tried not to let it bother me until recently when I have found a little coolant in my oil(there was also a little present when I found the chunk).  I replaced the head gasket a few months before I found the little chunk, so is it likely that this chunk fell out because of an overtorqued headbolt?  I remember cleaning out the bolt holes in the block very well(hosing them with WD-40 then blowing them out with compressed air) and doubt I overtorqued them, but I did reuse the old bolts(cleaned them as well).  Plus as we all know, $hit happens so if something was to go wrong when tightening a headbolt, would
 it be likely that a single tiny chunk of block would fall into the pan?  What do you guess the extent of this damage would be, do the headbolts pass through any coolant passages?  I'm guessing it's time to start saving for a new bottom-end.  Thanks in advance to any who reply,

-Rob