2 yes 2 questions in one

okies, first question.  Helping a fellow lister with a 2L rebuild and when
we got to the oil squirters, the bently says to install them using a sealing
paste.  So first, is this needed, and secondly, if so, what the hell do we
use?

Second question.  I started having an odd over heating problem with my rocco
(88 16v) last month.  Water temp showed hot, almost red line while the oil
stayed at normal temps.  I tried changing the temp sensor since I broke when
trying to check the connection, had the same result.  Replaced the temp
gage, same result.  So then I tore down the car a bit to check/replace the
water pump.  Had a trip come up so the car has sat while I've been away.
The water pump (still factory original) was in perfect condition to my
dismay.  Replacing it anyway though.  Also took the oppertunity to replace
the timing belt and tensioner.

Heres the basic deal.  The car ran normal when the problem started and all
the while I was swapping sensors and gages.  The car didn't smoke at all and
the spark plugs didn't show any sign of uneven running.  However, I found
that when I put the heater all the way on full blast, the temps wouldn't
drop until I put it into defrost mode which put the cooling fan into super
high mode.  Now the fan has been working fine the entire time, going through
it's cycle of on/off while the car was running.  So this has been bugging me
a lot since I can't find the cause of the problem.  Is it possible that a
partially clogged radiator could cause this problem with the way the
plumbing is on a 16v?  Since coolent will still flow without any help from
the radiator, is it possible that the radiator could be my problem.  I have
flushed it since I removed it from the car, but it was too dark out to see
if anything nasty came out.  So I'm open to ideas as I just can't find a
smoking gun for the problem.  I'm going to be putting the car back together
this week and I don't want to go through all of this just to have the same
problem so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
William Snyder

88' Scirocco 16v