[tech] Clutch Release Bearing

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 04:53:56PM -0400, Sal Guzzo wrote:
> Guys and gals,
>
> I've decided that I want to attempt to replace the clutch release bearing in my Vwabbit.  Do I need to
> remove the entire tranny to do this or can I just crack it open?  From looking at the Bentley, I think
> that I need not remove the tranny but just the green cover...am I right?

You are correct sir.  Pry the edge of it up, then pull out with a pair of
pliers.  You'll need a new one, they usually get pretty beat when
removing.  Reinstall by wedging a piece of wood (1X6 works fine) between
the cap and the inner wheel well, and smack the inner wheel well with a
mallet.

> Are there any special tools that I will need?  Is there anything else I should replace while I at it?

I'd probably go and replace the clutch cable while I had it
disconnected.  They only cost like $15 or so.

Dan

--
If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure.

                -- Dan Quayle