Fuel Accumulators

Sal, there is a difference between the CIS accumulator and the CIS-E
accumulator:

CIS:	pn 431 133 441 C
CIS-E:	pn 853 133 331

The early A1 CIS accumulators have been superceded by the late A1 CIS
accumulators, which were also used on A2 CIS installations.  The early
accumulators had hot starting problems, IIRC, which is why they were
replaced by the later versions (sometime around 1980 I think?)

CIS-E accumulators (both A1 and A2) are smaller in appearance than the CIS
version - spring housing on the accumulator, which is the end of the can
furthest from the fuel connections, is shorter and smaller around on CIS-E
accumulators, implying that the spring is not as big as the CIS version.
I had one of the CIS ones rust apart on my neighbour's 87 Jetta and it was
a very heavy spring and diaphragm inside.  If you ever decide to cut one
open for kicks, don't point it at anything you care about! :)

In addition to smoothing pulses from the main fuel pump, the accumulator
is also responsible for maintaining fuel pressure when the engine is not
running.  A bad or leaking accumulator will result in harder starts
(especially hot starts.)

HTH,

Drew