[TECH] Pulleys and such...

Hehe, all laughs aside, it's an easy fix if you've got a cooperative parts store... take your alternator back to the store, and tell them it's the right alternator, but wrong pulley.  Tell them you need the pulley from an 8V (MK2) Scirocco.  The 8V pulley is much deeper so it lines up properly.  Also, get the shim from the 8V alternator too, as even the deeper pulley it still doesn't line up without it. (I tried using conventional washers with catastrophic results - there's now a black burn mark in my engine bay. :-o )   Some part stores will let you do this.  Otherwise, I guess it's time to search the junkyard!  HTH!

Oh yeah, Brian, their's no way your shaft can be any longer than mine!  ;-)