adjusting Ignition timing

I have q's too...
The mark on the top cam (timing belt) was set so that when the timing light
went off, it was about 1 tooth towards the back of the car. Supposedly 6 deg
off.
The dist is set almost at the end of the adjustment range (where the 10mm
bolt goes through)

Is this correct?

Julie Macfarlane
Menlo Park Research & Development