Spark Plugs - pre ignition issue

Right, there's a point at which too much advance will hurt power and/or
cause detonation (ping).  So the only reason I'd want to crank it past 36
degrees advanced is to find out where that limit is.  Per the SDS website
(sdsefi.com) the rough guidelines for ignition advance were between 30 and
40 degrees, so - even though I'm not running SDS - I wanted to explore that
range.  Frankly, I was amazed that I'm not getting any pinging and the motor
is pulling so well with 36 degrees advance (at 5500 RPM).  Much better than
at 24 where I had it initially (trying to be cautious).  Hoping to get it on
a dyno soon to get some objective measurements before tearing it apart again
to bolt up the turbo.  Only put down 118 WHP with CIS-E so I'm anxious see
what the programmable engine management will so.

Bradley
88 S16V 2.0L EFI
02 S4 Avant