national safety law?

Hey Ryan,
         As far as I know, there is no federal law on modifications to your
car post-sale.  Individual states might have laws, but I doubt it.  Bumpers
really aren't considered a "safety" item; while they do help cars meet
frame to frame in accidents, their purpose is really for low-speed parking
impacts and such.

         The FMVSS requires a certain strength of bumper when the car is
sold to the end customer, but from what I know, once that happens, you can
do anything you want, up to and including removing the bumpers (as many
people do with S-10 pickups for example).  YMMV and your state might have
different laws...

Jason