[Re: (tech) More odometer questions...]

Well I was lucky, I didn't need parts. Except new leds for the guage face
which I've had for ages and not bothered with. The dash stays in, but you can
drive ith all fo the trim removed that you'll need to get rid of. If you get
stuck, I'm the girl now, write to me! Mine works fine, and i cleared up a
bunch of other stuff while I was there. The only thing for me to do now is
realign the steering wheel a bit, it's a hair off. Then put interior in. If
you call up Foxx's page, it'll work well.The two "more force than I was
comfortable with" items I'd warn you of are the big plugs into the cluster,
and the brass hub on the speedo shaft ( once you are deep into it) Otherwise,
go gently, and you'll be fine. Also, mine was the metal gear spinning on the
shaft, the three plastic gears were fine. I burred the shaft slightly, and
it's working. Should turn 300 000 on the Waterfest trip. GL, cathy

Cathy
Mike Smith <smithma7@yahoo.com> wrote:
>	MIME Type:?multipart/alternative
> I, too, anxiously await answers as I am going to be trying this fix soon.
There's actually a lot I need to do in there, so I'm waiting on a few parts
before I start.  I want to do it all at once, so I don't have to take it apart
more than once.  I'm also hoping to accomplish it all in a weekend.  Question:
 On the chance I can't finish it all before returning to work, is it worth
leaving the dash and whatnot off while I drive?  I'd put the instrument
cluster back, but as I said above, I'd like to not have to remove dash, etc.
more than once.

> Mike
>
> Cathy Boyko <losinit@usa.net> wrote:
>
> Well, for whatever reason I finally decided to around get to fixing my
> odometer. So I have it on my kitchen table, with a companion guinea pig
> cluster, and am following Foxx in the Box'as tech notes. So I'm at "use the
> small screwdriver to gently pry up the gold speedometer spring" step. but
it
> doesn't move.
>
> So some questions, and I'd reallly like to get the car fixed for the WF
trip
> Friday morning.
>
> SO:
> 1. Where do I pry the speedo needle, I'm assuming you apply pressure from
> below ( with the screwdriver resting on the plastic housing , and pry up on
> the brass ring that holds the spring to the speedo shaft, is that right?
The
> plastic just flexes, and the ring doesn't budge. On either of the clusters.
> :(
>
> 2. I don't see any cracks in the gears, but the drive gear shaft slides
> laterally through the barrels of the numbers, is there supposed to be
anything
> to resist this movement?
>
> 3. I'm assuming I need that spring assembly off to lift the odometer free
of
> the cluster, and this will reveal the gear that is the problem. Is there
> anything else?
>

> Thanks, I await your wisdom.
>
> cathy (hey, at least I got this far on my own!)

> word (w?rd)
> interj. Slang. Used to express approval or an affirmative response to
something. Sometimes used with up. Source