What tranny fluid instead of Redline MTL?

I've heard from a few old VW master mechanics that Redline isn't good for the tranny as it's "too slippery". This, combined with the expense, has led me to Valvoline full synthetic. Almost as expensive as Redline, but more readily available and the description on the bottle makes the stuff sound like it's designed for military tanks or something.

Dan