What tranny fluid instead of Redline MTL? - SWEPCO !

Thanks Brian.

The following blurb (as well as this page:
http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cache:www.motorvate.ca/auto/general/GL.htm)
makes me think that I need a GL-4 gear oil.

> Q:   What transmission fluid should I use (manual cars)?
> A:   As far as I know, most/all water cooled VW Xmissions require gear
> fluid with an API rating of GL-4 (MIL-2105).    The recommended GEAR
> viscosity hovers around 80W, 75W-80 or 75W-90   Note that 75W-80
> GEAR oil is equivalent to 10W30 MOTOR oil, but it is NOT recommended to
> use motor oil in gear boxes, eventhough some japanese cars do so any way
> (has to do with shear strength). GL-5 oil is made to lubricate gears
> (like in a differential) and may cause premature wear on VW synchros.
> NOTE that GL-5 is recommended for the *differential* on some AUTOMATIC
> VWs! Quality of the gear oil makes a HUGE difference in shifting.      I
> have personally tried Castrol (HORRIBLE), SWEPCO (Better), VW gear oil
> (good, I suspect that they use a synthetic in some cars), and Redline
> MTL (best so far). Others seem happy with Mobil-1, Synthoil, etc. How
> these oil affect xmission life is unknown to me.  Note that MTL is
> rated 75W80, while their newer product MT90 has a rating of 75W90 which
> may be closer to the required viscosity of your transmission. VW also
> sells synthetic transmission oil (at US$20/liter) which is rumored to be
> very good as well.

The swepco site lists four choices for gear oil and they are all GL-5
rated. The ones under "high performance" are both GL-5, too.

Hmm. Maybe I'll just stick with whatever's in there.

-Toby