16V Timing question... again

not sure whether you're talking about the "dots" on the cam chain sprockets
(which should line up exactly with the head, otherwise your cam chain is off
by a tooth and you need to take the cams out and readjust) or the mark on
the timing belt cam sprocket that lines up with the valve cover (this is
what i think you're talking about, and is frequently off by some fraction of
a tooth). this is TDC, and should line up with your mark on the flywheel
when you put the timing belt on.  the second mark is for ignition timing,
which you'll also need to set. you can do that either with an adjustable
timing light (set it to 6' and line up your only mark) or make a second mark
x mm away from the first (bentley has the exact number) and time with a
static light. hth,

-Michael Abatzis
New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, finally taking orders:
www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...