tools for tranny swap?

> It just dawned on me that I;m not 100% positive on the triple-square sizes
> (CVs and possible starter) and allens. You would be wise to get sets of
> those anyway!  One of 'em's bound to fit...   :)
>
> Lisle makes decent quality, reasonably prices sets of each.
>
> Both the [6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm triple-square] and the [allen
> 3,5,6,7,8,9,10,12mm] sets were each less than $10-15 IIRC

I'm going to add that Lisle triple square bits seem to be decent quality
for a cheaper tool, but I had one of them round off when I was torqueing
flywheel bolts on my VR6.  It sucked.  Hard.  I think I had weakened the
tool because I had used a strong impact tool to get the old bolts out,
though I asked and Lisle specifically replied that impact was OK.  The
tool probably would have stood up just fine without the impact use.

I had my wife bring home a K-D tool from another store and that rounded
off with one try with the breaker bar.

Mac makes a very nice (or did) 1/2" drive triple square driver.  A
friend has one in his shop and the drive is scarred from years of use
with impact, but the tip is perfect.

Nothing you're dealing with is tremendously highly torqued and Lisle
will be perfectly fine, but if you ever plan on doing head bolts or
flywheel, consider buying Mac or Snap-on if you can..

John Gates
--
'85 Scirocco
'97 Jetta GLX