OT Welders

At 05:44 PM 7/9/03 -0700, Brian Honnold wrote:

>I'm looking for opinions for a Mig welder.  Budget is under $1000.
>
>Has anyone researched these lately or know of anyone with a MIG for sale?
>
>Thanks
>
>BcH

Brian,
You should have no problem finding one for under 1K.  I agree with the other
guys about the Miller welders; they are excellent welders.  My personal welder,
for home use, is a Lincoln 100 series.  For the money($300) it is a great
little
welder and more than up to the task for any VW welding you will ever
do.  It can
weld up to 1/4" thick steel, though requires two passes for stuff that
thick.  The
gas kit is another $100.  Other costs-good set of gloves(10-20), helmet(depend
what you want)-the 100 just comes with a hand held face shield(useless expept
for a bystander/helper), slag hammer, wire brushes, and gas cylinder.  Most
welding supply places rent and sell the tanks.  Check both prices and if you
aren't a heavy user you will probably find it's cheaper in the end to buy
the tank
and pay to have it refilled when needed.

John C. Worden
Bucksport, Maine

'98 Dakota 4x4-
'86 Scirocco 8V-
'81 Scirocco 2.0 16V -
'78 Scirocco Brazil Brown Metallic,  4 speed.
'89 Polaris Indy Deluxe