tranny swap

Pt 1:
It appears the mk1 has fallen victim to SMS. There's been a clickin noise for a couple of days that seemed like a loose exhaust. Then, I realized it was only on acceleration so I though maybe I threw a rod and figured I'd drive it till it went through. Yesterday it got way louder and then started to squeal. Now, in neutral when I turn on the car I can hear a gear slowly spinning against it's case and when I step on the gas there's a definite gear grinding going on. Is there any chance of this not being the tranny?

Pt 2:
Ok, so I have the mk2 with the 4k tranny in it. AFAIK, the 4k was stock in 84 roccs, so that's original. What do I need to know about swapping? Can I switch just trannys? What tools do I need? Tell me everything I need to know.

TIA
Dan