clogged cat=slow car?

i've had a problem with lost power in my 16v for 4-5 months now. i've
troubleshooted (troubleshot?) and/or replaced everything in the fuel and
ignition systems (except the fuel distro) with no luck. ign and cam timing
and mixture checked ad nauseum.  the car runs very well; fuel mileage is a
bit off (28mpg hwy @ 80-85mph, a/c on), but not horrible.  the car is slow
across the board, but feels like it loses more on the top end.  i had
initially thought of a clogged cat, but dismissed it since it sounds ok, and
i haven't heard any rattling. however, i was talking w/ william s and he
also mentioned it, which got me thinking about it again. also, i got
emissions tested last week. while the car passed, it barely passed; last
year, the emissions were practically 0. anyone know how to test this? even
if i took the cat/dp off (it's a tt), i wouldn't know what to check for from
there. since the pipe is curved, i doubt i'll be able to see much. thoughts?
does this sound like a culprit, and where do i go from here? tia,

-Michael Abatzis
New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, finally taking orders:
www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...