Turbo vs. Supercharger.

The VNT uses a smaller compressor wheel for faster spool up.  Generally,
in a fixed nozzle configuration the nozzle will direct the gas at the
outer portion of the turbine anyways.

In order to make the VNT perform like a small turbo, you start with a
small compressor wheel.  In order to make it perform like a larger turbo
(and to keep it from eating itself,)  you redirect the exhaust flow
towards the inside of the turbine.

The idea is that you can use a MUCH smaller compressor wheel and still
flow enough air without having the turbo self destruct at higher gas
volumes.  The tiny KKK03 I have on my 1.6 is good to about 15psi.  The
similarly sized VNT15 is good to about 25PSI, which is about what the
much larger stock trim turbo that came with my 1.6 would handle.  The
difference is, of course, that my KKK03 spools much, much sooner than the
stock turbo did.  The VNT 15 spools just as early as the KKK03, but hangs
in til the end like the stock turbo.

Drew