Vehicle importation into Canada

A few things Jay and I have found importing vehicles:

- towing them back makes life easier, and makes the car look like its
worth less (make it not run too)
- A/C costs ~$100 to import for environmental fees.  We got away with it
on the 16V because the heater control panel wasn't there.  He even got
in the car and looked
- when they ask for the Canadian compliance sticker, say its there.
They've never actually checked
- certain US customs crossings will let you fax them the title
beforehand, so you can do it in one trip
- never ever ever ever tell them you bought the car on ebay.  They'll
make you give up your login and password, and actually check what you
bid on it (is that legal?). I stalled and gave a wrong password but then
had to give the real one. After an hour of interrogation I caved.
- have proof of how you paid for the car.  Bank slips or money order
receipts.  You could theoretically take less money out than you paid for
it, then deposit it again and throw out the deposit slip. Then get the
guy to write the receipt for what you withdrew from your account.
- when they write up the new ownership for the car, make sure they use
'RAB' for a rabbit, not 'RBT' because then they think it's a 'rebuilt'
car when you go to renew your plates.

Ben
81 Scirocco 2L16V EFI (Ontario born)
81  Caddy 2L16V (from Maryland)
87 Scirocco 16V (jay's/mine from Michigan)
79 Scirocco (jay's also from Michigan)