importing a scirocco?

--=======5DFAE6D=======

At 10:32 AM 1/30/03 -0500, Jason wrote:

>At 09:30 AM 1/30/2003, Foxx (in a box) wrote:
>
>>   i know it's been discussed before and i have read some topics on the
>> subject and have visited the nhtsa's web site. seems like all you'd have
>> to do is swap things over to make it compatible with u.s. regualations.
>> about the only items i can think of would be bumpers and headlights.
>> everything else, afaik, should be the same. i'm sure that emissions
>> would be similar, but since i'm not sure about the various little items
>> like that, i can't be positive.
>>   the other tid-bit i heard was in regards to the rally golfs.
>> apparently they CAN be imported, but have to be gone through and
>> converted to u.s. spec at the import yard. unfortunately they end up
>> destroying the euro-spec parts in the process. i'm just curious to know
>> other peoples thoughts on shipping the u.s.-spec parts over to europe,
>> having them installed, then have the whole car shipped over (euro-spec
>> parts contained in the car, of course). if something like this can
>> happen, i have a feeling that dirk may be kicking my ass. any responses
>> welcome.
>
>It is *infinitely* more complicated to bring in a car than just changing
>lights and bumpers.  The list of things that need to conform to US Specs
>is pages and pages long, starting with glass, seatbelt buzzers,
>side-impact door beams, you name it.
>
>The hardest part is emissions compliance.  Even if you buy a Euro-Spec
>Scirocco with the best emissions available on it, it won't pass.  The test
>to bring the car in isn't the normal "emissions test" that some of us have
>-- it's the same emissions test that the manufacturers had to put the cars
>through when new.  So basically, the car would have to pollute no more now
>than it did when new... both from the engine as well as evaporative
>emissions... so you'll probably have to replace every hose, fuel
>injection, and exhaust component on the car.  There is one place only in
>the USA that does the testing -- in New York I believe.
>
>I've been quoted between $5000 and $8000 to bring a Euro-spec car into
>compliance - and even that is no guarantee.  The emissions test is one of
>the more expensive parts of that, and there's no guarantee you'll ever get
>it to pass.  All the companies that do compliance work have told me that
>unless the car is worth over $100k, it's just not worth it.
>
>Canada will allow cars 15+ years old in with no questions asked.  The US
>has a similar exclusion at 25 years.
>Before I'd try to bring a Scirocco under 25 years old into the US, I'd
>have someone import it into Canada first, and then see if I could get a US
>title for it...  Either way, it's a crap shoot, and probably not worth the
>hassle. :(
>
>Jason
>
>PS:  I'm the first to say the US' policy sucks.  Why should the government
>care if I want a 20 year old car for my own personal enjoyment?  Selfish
>bastards.

Depending on how your handles registering  vehicles, getting one imported
to Canada might be the easy way.  If it were me doing it, considering how
Maine does things(and I have no idea how other states do) I would get one
imported to a lister in Canada.  They register it and drive it over to
"visit" me. They write me, or I write myself a sales slip.   I give them a
ride home. I then insure it, and then go to my town office(city hall to you
city people), and register it.  This is assuming it's an older Scirocco,
because newer than '86, I would need a title.  Older than that, all I need
is to have it registered and a handwritten sales slip.  They charge me
whatever sales tax is for the amount paid(never write more than $250 or
so), look up the excise tax in their book and type up a registration.  Good
to go.  Gotta love small states.  Hopefully your state is something like this.

John