1.8 carb mods

Most of us on the list aren't lucky enough to have ever had the pleasure
of tuning a 1.8 with carbs.

The one thing I will caution you on concerning the installation of an
electric fuel pump is that you be sure to make provisions for an electric
cut-out that's tied to the ignition.  There's been many an engine
compartment fire on a carburetted vehicle that was caused by a high
volume, high pressure pump spraying fuel all over a hot engine.

The stock CIS fuel pump relay does this quite well if you can find one and
retrofit it - I'm sure aftermarket versions are available as well.

Also, concerning the K&N - the performance of your engine is adversely
affected by the intake of hot air from the engine compartment.
Installing a full-flow filter right next to the engine can hurt
performance rather than help.  Your best bet would be to go with an air
box setup or shrouded free-flow that maintains a free flow of cold air
from the front of the car.

One option to greatly improve performance (but also increase
hassle-factor) would be to install dual-carbs - which I understand can
really wake up an engine, but they can also be a pain to tune and
maintain.  I believe a number of listers have experience with this setup.

Drew