twin - suspension inputs - springs and bars - suspension guruschimein please

Allyn, setting up an AWD suspension isn't all that much different than a
FWD. Both platforms tend to understeer on the way into corners for the same
exact reasons. On exit, however, the AWD may oversteer under power. -depends
on how much of it you've got as well as other design factors.

Anyway, if your weight distribution is 50/50 and your suspension has the
same strut-based design, then matching the spring rates front/rear is a good
place to start from. You very well may not want a car that is perfectly
balanced, however. Being constantly on the edge of oversteer is fairly scary
and not practical for the real world. Rather, a progressive breakaway is
preferred by most.

You can accomplish this even with the same spring rates by carefully
choosing your suspension bushing compliance. Go with hard ones up front and
softer units in the back. Or, if  you like wicked fast turn in followed by
neutrality, then use hard bushings in the back and soft ones up front.

Why do you want to run super heavy springs at all corners, btw? Why not take
the more practical approach and run moderate springs and bigger bars? The
last package I tried on my Mk1, for instance, was 300lb front/250lb rear
with a 19mm front bar/ 25mm rear. Next, I'm going to try something like a
350lb front/300lb rear. I've also got a set of 400/600lb coils for autox use
or whatever. Anyway, swaybars will be the same 19mm front and a big ass
Shine Racing bar in the back.

FYI, I'm optimizing my car for intense (paved) backroad action. What kind of
roads and driving do you intend to get into? That should really be the first
consideration here.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut