How About an ABA Engine Swap?

--- Rob Calderwood <robcalderwood1@charter.net> wrote:
> Anyone experienced with putting a late model Jetta/Golf 2.0 liter in
> an MKII 8v?
>
> What I understand is keep the original head and fuel injection.
> Techtonics sells the minor conversion parts except for the knock
> sensor. The only other issue is clearance of the throttle body &
> intake manifold with the rain tray.
>
> I used to have a '97 Jetta with the ABA engine and was really smooth.
> I think it would be a great swap.

It IS a great swap.  Me and Big Mac put one into his Cabby about a year
ago.  You need the special TT parts (block off plate for breather,
freeze plug, and dizzy adapter).  The ABA has two knock sensor bosses,
so take your pick there.  We used an ABA head gasket; it's fine so far
- but TT says not to...dunno why.  The raintray will need some
sledge-ineering.  Have a look, you can see what the scoop is, in an A1:
<http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/rapieper/vwp2?.tok=bc49I.QBJojiZd8f&.dir=/Brian+and+the+LRTB+Transplant&.dnm=In+with+the+good.jpg&.src=ph>

Ron