1.8 Vs. 2.0 Revisited AKA why 1.8 instead of a 2.0 head

That "torque-adding-donut" was actually a restrictor installed to enhance
ported manifold vacuum for EGR valve operation and nothing more - sorry to
disappoint.  They were on 1.6 and 1.7's with EGR, but I've never seen one
on a 1.8.

They can be removed by pulling the vacuum port out the side of the
throttlebody with a pair of pliers - then you can knock out the restrictor
and plug the hole the vacuum port was in.

Drew