[Re: I am new to this so please bear with me]

Haygood <haygood@aemail4u.com> wrote:
I'll second that.  Take the battery out and loosen up the airbox so you c=
an
get to the battery ground cable.  Replacing it would probably be good, bu=
cleaning all three ends of it got rid of these symptoms for me.  While yo=
u are
at it, clean the positive lines to the starter and the Alt.  There is als=
o a
small ground strap from around the coil to the back of the intake manifol=
d. =

Might as well clean that one, too.

Brian

 =

And for what they cost, I'd just replace them. This way, when there is an=
other problem(or still this problem), the main grounds can be ruled out. =
I had
one to the starter that looked okay, but had been cooked, and the insulat=
ion
would snap when you bent it. But it looked pretty good in the car till I =
got
it out. You kind of want current to GET to/from the starter, not have it
sneaking off on some side trip. Doesn't take long to do all the fat wires=
=2E And
make sure you have one from the battery to the tranny, I didn't for whate=
ver
reason, and it started well for a year and a half like that, and all of a=

sudden decided it really did need that wire. (and it should need it!) Use=
 some
dielectric grease on those clean contacts too. Mmmm...clean contacts...

Cathy, sister of the church of the free electron

PS Welcome to the wonderful world of Scirocco ownership. Get a Bentley an=
d a
multimeter...

--- "Rick Alexander" <ralexander03@snet.net> wrote:
>Welcome Ian.
>
>Sounds to me like your a candidate for the church of the free electron.
>Clean up those electrical connections and things should be better.
>
>If your having trouble using the energy in the battery, the alternator i=
>having a worse time charging it.
>
>Rick Alexander

!!!!FAST, FREE AND HOT!!!!
for the best free email site on the web