Question for all those with a 16v 2.0 block and 16v 1.8 head

> What does the compression ratio come out to be.  I have been searching =
> on the tex and haven't been able to find good answers.  Thanks
>
> Nate

The stated compression ratio of the 1.8L 16v is 10:1, while the stated
ratio for the 2L 16v is 10.8:1.  Since the head portion of the
combustion chambers appear to be 100% identical, the increased compression
is most likely due to two things.  1.  Increased bore diameter (I believe
I read an early VW&P article in one of the "Lurching Towards Success"
series that stated that increasing bore would slightly increase CR) and
2. the pistons of the 1.8L and 2L differ in the valve relief cut area.
The 1.8L pistons have 'slot' cut across the face of the piston, while the
2L pistons have two small half-round divits.  With all else being equal,
the slight increase of sheer piston 'volume' reduces the volume of the
compression area to help increase the compression ratio.  Follow that? ;-)

==Brett