Ok, so what do we do about it?

Well, my TurboDiesel is an 8V, unless you want to count the blowoff valve,
which is blocked anyways... :)

Seriously, before I swapped in the TD, the Scirocco averaged 38 USMPG with
a mildly modified JH burning E10 Ethanol blend on my daily commute (~120
miles round trip)

I now achieve the same mileage with my 87 Jetta winterbeater that has a
10:1 JH, again, burning 87 octane E10 blended fuel.  This is, of course,
driving conservatively and not exceeding speed limits by more than 25%...
:)

However, fuel efficiency and power in the same package can only be the TDI
- V6 torque and go-kart fuel consumption.  Plus you can make your own fuel
in your back yard with some sunlight, fertilizer and lye...  Even better,
you can make your own explosives with the fuel, fertilizer and.... aw,
never mind... :)