16v Rear disks on a 8V

Rear discs have their pros and cons, but if you plan on driving your car
in snow/salt/slush then you'll probably want to stay clear of them.  Under
these conditions rotors wear quickly and calipers are prone to siezing.

As far as ease of maintenance goes, a good rear drum brake job will easily
last 100,000km or more, so at the frequency that work on rear brakes is
required, I don't mind a little extra effort for replacing shoes over
pads.

Drop by a VW shop and ask them how many rear disc brake jobs they do vs.
rear drum.  In our climate A3 and A4 cars with rear discs are in every
12-24 months for siezed/dragging calipers.  A1 and A2 owners with rear
discs can't afford to go to the dealer for service... :)

Having said that, the look cool factor is definitely there, and if they're
installed correctly and working reliably the stopping will be improved as
well.

Drew