[Mk1] Strut insert replacement?

So, I'm being extremely Cheapass (or would that be Brokeass?) and buying
the mega famed, often imitated and oftener dupicated Gabriel Red Ryder
strut inserts from Auto Zone.   I"m just wondering, before I go outside
and look at my car, would I be able to install the inserts into my strut
housings or would I have to take them to a shop to have them installed?
Anybody else do this perfor-mo-swap that can give me some pointers?

Nate
'81
'84