in 84 they made a rocco GTi ?

I saw a MK 1 Scirocco that was grill badged GTI once.  This was about in the
mid 80's where I grew up in NW Washington and was a bit before I was a
roccophile so I didn't pay too close attn. It was dk grey and badged
orange/red.   That's all I remember but I did ask at the local VW dealer
shortly after about it and the guy blew me off and said the owner must have
stuck the badge on there.  Interesting though that the A1 GTI powerplant
that we all know and love JH/4K didn't come along for a few more years.  At
least here in the states.
Just for what it's worth.
Ken
1979 Scirocco 16V -  Almost done
81 Deisel P/U - Rescued from neglegent PO
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"