idling, running problems...HELP before I get killed in traffi c!!!!!

a nasty running problem has made itself known in a big
> way in the
> 'rocc....16v, backfiring and sputtering at idle, missing
> badly all through
> the range....at first it got better after it had been
> run, but now it just
> shows up randomly, usually at the worst times (like when
> I go to merge on a
> busy street, I accelerate, and it just DIES, still
> running, but not going
> anywhere...) seems the only time it will accelerate
> normally is when the full
> throttle enrichment switch is depressed...then the car
> accelerates like a bat
> out of hell, which is not, repeat, NOT fun when it's icy
> out... could it be
> the O2 sensor? the coolant temp sensor?  what?

I'm not sure at this point, but if you solve the problem
let me know - my Passat has developed pretty much the same
symptoms.  Might have to 'roc my way to Pittsburgh in a
couple weeks.

Well I had this problem with the Passat back in December...if anyone
remembers ...I sent quite a few cries for help out to the list and finally
figured my problem out myself.  It was the power stage....the little part on
the bracket with the coil....only on Motronic...the car would run fine at
first at a steady state speed but if I accelerated the engine would sputter
like my Rocc on the way to WF last year in the monsoon!!!!...anyway it
finally completely died and after hours of troubleshooting the entire
ignition system AND IT ALL PASSING INCLUDING THE POWER STAGE!!!! I replaced
it and viola car runny runny again.

Hope this helps....as for the Rocc it could be the coil since there is not
power stage

Michael Leach
MH-60R Integration and Test
Lockheed Martin Federal Systems