OT: HELP! Automagik Golf No Start...

Krazy Horse wrote:

> Are 8v autos known to not start for no reason? This is starting to
> become very frequent and starting to really piss me off, since it is
> on my daily driver; a 91 Golf 8v. How do I go about correcting this
> problem? Do I just have to replace the starter? I thought that I
> remember my mom's A2 Jetta Auto doing the same thing, but I am not
> sure, it was a few years back. TIA!!
>
> -Craig

Autos, with the starter on the backside of the motor, get too hot from
exposure to downpipe radiation.

Heatshield should be in place but often gets deleted by previous
owners.

Improvements can be had (one guy I saw had added an under car air
scoop to direct cooling flow directly to the starter, of course not
much use around town but...), another idea is to add some insulation
to the existing heat sheild to stem some of those BTUs.

In any case the 'relay the starter' thing is some much more important
than the same to the lights that VW should have recalled all of the
older units, but never will. As soon as you touch one of these, get it
updated.

Lastly, cracking the bolts holding it to the block & rebolting,
augmenting/replacing the cables from the battery; all these can aid in
the free flow of electrons, one of my faaaaavorite things.

TBerk