JE Pistons & block assembly

The owner of the shop where I work (well respected local engine guru)
uses non-detergent oil to lube the pistons to properly seat the rings.
He suggests using non detergent oil for about 1000 miles.  If you want
to know when the rings are properly seated, change the oil during the
break-in period (w/ more non detergent oil) - if the oil remains clear,
then they're seated.  If the oil gets dirty quickly, oil is still
getting by the rings and gets contaminated by combustion...

When I asked him about installing the pistons "dry", he mentioned that
as soon as the engine starts, oil will reach the rings anyways - too
quickly to seat the rings if you believe they should be "dry" to do so.
 He showed me a text book and a manual that both suggested
non-detergent oil during assembly and break-in...

Take that for what it's worth, but I tend to believe this guy - he's
been in the business for a long time...

Mark.
80 S
81 S

 --- Chris DeLong <green536@hotmail.com> wrote: > it just occurred to
me that most of the engines that I have built