speaking of FF tranny...

The FF/FN came in a couple of different versions, actually. Some time after
1981, VW played games with us and switched the 4th and fifth gear ratios
(.91/.71 to .97/.76). As I mentioned before, the FF has basically the same
ring & pinion as the 4k (3.94). And, of course, all the 020 gear boxes had
the same 1st gear ratio. Thus, in first gear the FF/FN will accelerate
nearly identically to a 4K/2H.

> For comparision, what's stock in an '88 16v?

The 16v cars had tall (3.67) ring & pinion gears and then the same close
ratio gears 1-4 that came in the 4K/2H. Fifth gear, matched the 2H at .91
and was only fractionally shorter than the 4K (which was .89).

> My car will be NA as a turbo is beyond my skill and wallet.

Go with the 4K or 2H for max performance. If you've got 100mm axles, then
you must use the 4K. A common modification to this transmission is to swap
in the .75 5th gear from an FF/FN. The jump from 4th to 5th is kinda big,
but you will be able to rip tires around town and then cruise on the
highway.

Word up,
--
Scott F. Williams