Desperation... any more ideas (16V problems)?

Ryan H wrote:

> Reverend Tosh(a),
> I try my best to pray to the electron gods occasionally, but I wonder if they hear my prayers?
>
> I have run a 12 gauge wire from the battery neg. to the bolt on the back of the head, as well as a separate 12 gauge wire to the coil bolt behind the cowl cover.  Also, I have 12 gau. running to the alternator, as well as each manifold bolt.  Finally, I have a new ground strap running to the chassis from the negative cable.
>
> Still no answers to my prayers, although I'll keep faith... for now. ;)

Wow, even for me that's allot of wires. :])  What about (and I'm no
16v guy) the main brain box and it's ground? I'm sure it can be seen
in the electrical diagrams in the Bentley. Also there are grounds, or
in this case return paths from powered components that need good clean
connections.

OK, so wire from the Battery as the common source of ground. One to
the coil bracket, this serves the chassis btw, not the coil. Is this
one wire FROM the battery to the coil? Or is it from the battery to
the motor THEN to the coil bolt?

One from the Alternator's CASE, this is a good one.

Ground strap from the Battery to the Chassis, but what of the HOT
side, from the Alt to the Battery / Starter?

Part II

Joe Doty wrote:

> Yeah, I don't know about others' cars, but that ground strap on my
> engine was bolted straight to paint.  I promptly scraped it off.

btw- Subarus have this as a common problem these days. On the WRX
boards they are recommending scraping the paint away and rebolting the
ground strap, it's fixing some hesitation issues.

TBerk