From: Michael Abatzis [mailto:abatzis2@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 6:03 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: low compression--what is it?

i've had an oil leak of unknown source for 3months, and have recently been
noticing poor power. finally cleaned the engine last week, and despite
losing 1/2 qt of oil, the outside is still clean. i did a compression test
today, with the following results:

215/220/230/100

yeah, the gauge has always read high (210-220 has been average across 3
engines), but obviously #4 is the concern. plug threads were oily, but plugs

themselves weren't fouled. pistons from what i saw were gunky.  wet
compression raised #4 to 170, but 1/2/3 also increased by 40-50 psi, so i
don't know what to make of that. coolant has no oil in it.

so, what's up? head was replaced (with hg) maybe 6 mos ago, and had been
recently redone apparently (brett c?). i'm thinking headgasket v.
stuck/dirty valves v. leaky valve guides v. (less likely) rings/other bad
stuff. any ideas, or how to better eval? btw, my car is way worse than yours

cathy.
tia,

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, finally taking orders:
www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...