Forced Induction ?: X-Flow versus JH head

 --- "Scott F. Williams" <sfwilliams@comcast.net> wrote:
 > Mark, how much work/cost did this conversion entail?

If you're referring to the solid lifter stuff in the x-flow, the
article only mentioned it briefly - but they made it sound like it's
easily swapped, as in "drop in"...  I'm pissed that I sold my crossflow
head that I had left over after my 2.0 ABA swap - I've got some crazy
ideas for that head now...  Anyone got a x-flow head they could measure
the lifter bore dia.?

If you're referring to the 42/34 mm valve JH head that I'm working on,
it'll require a fair amount of work.  I just picked up a good used JH
head, and pressure tested/stripped/measured it up today at work. It
looks like I will be able to fit 42mm intakes, and 34 mm exhausts.  The
valves will almost touch, even after modifying them.  The chambers will
need to be enlarged on the intake side (to fit the valve, and to
unshroud them a bit).  I'm looking to fit 7mm stem valves in as well to
provide a bit more flow (hell, I'm going THIS far, I may as well get
picky!).  I was hoping to fit even bigger exhaust valves, but there
just isn't any room...

I'm trying to find a local shop with a flow bench, so I can get a stock
baseline, then with the bigger valves, and then ported and polished...
I'll keep you guys posted on my progress.  If all goes well I'll be
offering these up for sale to help offset my costly VW addiction...

Mark - hopefully soon having the best flowing 8v VW head on the planet!
80 S
81 S