ABD short shift q's

I recently aquired a ABD short shift kit.  I finally got around to
installing it this morning and I've run into a major issue.  This is the kit
that reduces throw by 25-45-65 percent.  Once I got it through the bushings
I went to move it around and sure enough it's smacking the tranny housing.
Top that off with once I had it in place I also noticed that rod going from
the shift kit piece to the tranny isn't level but has a nasty drop down from
the tranny to the kit.  First off, I figured since I was only looking to get
the 45% reduction I could grind the  rest of the metal off thus removing the
interfearing tranny housing issue, but the nasty angle of the rod going
betwen the kit and the tranny has me worried.  Now this is being installed
on my 88 16v and I just checked ABD's site and they don't have anything that
says 8v or 16v specific, just basicly that there are two kits that fit
pretty much all A1's.  So if I grind the extra off will the drop between the
kit and the tranny cause any shifting issue.  The more I think about it, I
don't see it causing a problem, but I've also never done any of this so I
wanted to get the opinion of the list.  So did I get the wrong thing or is
it happy-happy grinding time?  I want ot be sure since once I grind, my
chances of selling/trading this kit for something that will work goes
straight to the crapper.

William Snyder

88' Scirocco 16v
89' Cabriolet 8v