Removing undercoating crud

Okay, so I'm sure somebody here has done this - my front crossmember has a
bunch of black waxy goo on it and I want to remove it all to check for
additional cracks. I don't want to weld up the ones I know about and then
find more later on.

So what's the best way to remove this stuff? I tried scraping, I tried a
couple of chemicals (always use gloves with Castrol Super Clean, by the
way - chemical burns are NOT FUN!). Scraping with a piece of wood works
best so far but kind of subtle-y scratches the paint, the scraper edge of
the wood wears out quickly, and it's labor intensive. There's got to be a
better way..

Anyone?

-Toby