Cheap ARP VW alternative: using ARP bolts.

If some of you folks out there have something to say ... let me know
Brian

http://forums.vwsport.com/viewtopic.php?p=2139&highlight=#2139

Picked from the hardcore VW lists. Nate and his 2.0L 20v NA corrado 11 sec
car.

you can do like some of the shops do (WON'T GIVE ANY NAMES HERE)..

Get a set of ARP bolts for Ford 302 ( V8 )
The set will be like $60, and you'll have enough for 2 motors. (share em
with a friend  )

I was worried about mine in my ABA 20v, but they are doing just fine. The
machine shop checked them out before installing and recondition the rods,
and they were confident that I wouldn't have any problems.

The Ford bolts are not metric thread or diameter (I think they are .001"
larger). They are not splined at the top, so the interferance fit holds
them in place.
_________________
-"Professor" Nate
www.Race101.com
World's Quickest All-Motor Corrado

on my motor, it looked like "they" took the ford bolts, and just reduced
the diameter of the bolt head (kinda looks like 'they' did it by hand)

But on my ABA rods, it doesn't even look like they needed to. Perhaps on
1.8 rods, there might be a clearance issue, but I wouldn't think it would
take much to make them work.

I ordered this set of "ARP rod bolts for VW"... for "them".
Paid $65 + S&H.
Came in a dirty ziplock bag, with a small packet of ARP intall lube, and a
little slip of paper that said "28 ft/lbs"

My machine shop looked at them and said they looked like Ford302 bolts.
I called ARP, and described them. They said probably Ford bolts also.

I called "them" up... and 'they" got all defensive....
"we've been building and racing VW's for years. These are the exact same
bolts we've always used. These are made for VW... we get them in bulk, and
split them up, that's why they are in unmarked packaging.... blah, blah"

I wasn't calling them mad or anything, just wanted to know what was up. By
the time I called them, the motor was already together and working fine.
_________________
-"Professor" Nate
www.Race101.com
World's Quickest All-Motor Corrado

Brian
88 16v $2003 GRM challenge car http://www.grmotorsports.com
84 0v Next years car got parts?
82 2.0L Topless bunny -- Knock Ignition and bigger clutch. next.
90 90q20v doing daily driver duty.
91 VFR750F everybody needs a 11-12 sec vehicle.

Contact method. Email me for AIM, ICQ, YahooIM, IRC, etc.