help: cis-e mixture adjustment

--0-1035445420-1044667451=:36501

i had $30 laying around one day so i bought the tt fuel mixture test harness.  i found instructions online so i decided to see what was going on with my 1987 16v.  my car has been guzzling gas lately and my high-rpm horsepower just aint what it used to be.

hooked everything up and started the car (allready warm), but the multimeter (digital, set on a 20mA scale) reads zero.  let it set for a few minutes.....still zero.  instructions say that zero means that i am way way too rich.  i turn the screw counter clockwise less than 1/8th turn and the car starts to stumble, i back out the bypass screw on the tb to balance it a little.  cars idling again for a few minutes.... still says zero.  i even turned it down to the 2mA scale for an extra decimal place, but its zero there too.  if there is a vacuum leak i cannot find it (most of my vaccum system is removed).  the injector o-rings are not that old (maybe 12 or 14k miles).  someone that has done this before please help me out.  all i can do right now is turn the 2 screws until they balance out and the car will idle at a decent speed.

tia,

-tony

1987 2 or 3 tone 16v scirocco