cups v. coilovers?

>From: "Scott F. Williams" <sfwilliams@comcast.net>

>Define what you mean by "sportier". To me, sporty handling means
>"responsive" and "neutral".

i'll say stiffer and more responsive. neutrality doesn't come into play with
the average driver.

>Well, the factory engineers might say that the suspension was optimized
>according to the handling dynamics that *they* wanted. Optimal handling is
>rather subjective notion, of course.

that was my original point.

The point here is that the 16v has both
>stiffer front springs and a larger diameter (stiffer spring rate) rear
>anti-roll bar. The increases in rate at *both* ends reduce understeer
>compared to if the car was equipped with the 8v parts.
>
>That set up understeers lots more than the stock 16v. This brings to
>practical fruition the notion that the 16v's increased engine weight
>imparts
>a significant influence on handling and that the spring rates should be
>adjusted accordingly.

well, not necessarily. they could have wanted less understeer in the 16v.
again, i say sportier! c'mon, how much heavier do you think the 16v front
end is? a cam shaft weighs 5 lbs, 8 lifters and valves weigh maybe 1 lb. a/c
compressor is a lot lighter than that square thing on the early models. do
you really think that the variation b/t 8/16v cars stock is more than the
variation between owners, e.g. battery relocation, lightened flywheel, euro
bumpers, stress bars, sway bars (none in front on my car!), subframes, cross
member supports, a/c removal, etc? the original thought was that 8v/16v
shocks/springs should be different in the AFTERMARKET, which is absurd.
considering all the things that go into handling bias, all the mods, and
that fact that spring rates vary between manufacturers and models, there is
no "right" 8v or 16v combination. so there.

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, prelim web site, but not taking orders
yet: www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...