cups v. coilovers?

> That's weird because I thought the subject was cups v. coilovers?
>  Yep, just looked again and it still is.
> Dave

Come on now, Dave. You know as well as the next guy that thread topics
wander. The original question regarded how the Cup kit and coilover
compares. Josh mentioned that the Cup kit is more suitable for the 8v
because of the spring rates. That prompted the current discussion as to
whether or not the 8v spring rates are comparable to the 16v rates and
whether it matters at all from a performance point of view. Since VW
equipped 8v and 16v Scirocco variants with different spring rates, the
inclusion of OEM rates into the discussion is relevant. -relevant to the
original topic about how the cup kit and coilovers compare when used in 8v
and 16v cars. Did I really need to break down the logic like that? lol :^)

> I would think that Aftermarket springs are better and heavier
> than stock springs so why the heck couldn't 8v springs fit a
> 16v especially one most of ours that are lighter because we are
> all performance heads.

The aftermarket springs might be heavier than the stock springs (dunno about
"better"), however, the front/rear spring rate bias will still be optimized
for either 8v or 16v. The 16v motor *is* heavier and puts more of that
weight farther forward in the engine bay. Thus, the front end will need more
spring rate to keep from bottoming. Of course, any of these springs are
interchangeable strictly from a "fit" point of view. Still, the heavier cars
should be equipped with heavier rate springs.

> If there is a difference in height, then adjust the rears a little
> (most aftermarket suspension has adjustable spring perches) to make
> it even.

Ah, but it isn't only about maintaining the proper ride height, Dave. Two
different rate springs might position either end of the car at practically
the same ride height. However, for example, a 400lb spring in the front and
600lb spring in the back will handle *lots* differently than if you reversed
the arrangement. Similarly, adding or removing 50lbs of vehicle weight from
the very front of the car (e.g. moving the battery to just behind the front
seats) will noticeably alter the handling characteristics. -same goes for
the engine weight (8v vs. 16v) and the springs that you choose to optimize
handling in both cases.
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut