VWvortex Forums Email a friend: Anybody use balljoint extenders?

Very interesting thread! I have studied ball joint
extenders a little bit too.

As far as I can tell, the "place in Colorado" they're
talking about is the place Keven Wentzel and Iain
Mannix had theirs made (that's their EP Rabbit with
the double-wishbone suspension, BTW). The balljoint
extender is their design, and they've spent a lot of
time researching it. The biggest reason they are so
expensive is that they have seen several of these
designs fail, and much of the cost is due to the
extreme strength requirements they put on it to make
SURE it doesn't shear. I think he said the cost was a
combination of the alloy used and some special
heat-treatment, but I don't remember exactly.

Anyway, I intend to buy a set one day when I can
afford them, but I wouldn't buy just anything that
some shop built on their milling machine. If that part
fails, it can do MAJOR damage to the chassis and
suspension, not to mention the safety risks...

Neal