springs

Hi

I've got an 86 GT and I need to replace the springs - one of them is
broken.

I want to use lowering springs but I don't want it to be _too_ low, I
want to maintain some semblance of ride quality. Looking at the space
between my front wheels (14" VW BBS) and arches I don't think there is
room for a 35-40mm drop with much suspension travel left. The springs
are over 15 years old, could it be that they have sagged and the vehicle
already rides substantially lower than it used to?

Has anybody got any experiences with a lowered Scirocco 2?

Can I use Golf GTi mk1 suspension kit (springs+shocks)?

Any experiences/pointers gladly accepted, I have never fitted lowering
springs before.

--Andrew

86 Scirocco GT (UK spec)