Aftermarket High Voltage Coil on 8v?

> Vince Royer wrote:
>
> I am using one.  I noticed it ran a little smoother when I put it
> in. Can you tell me how I can tell if I have breakerless ignition or
> not?

Points style Ign has (usually, but not always) a small metallic
canister on the side of the Distributor. (It's a capacitor).

Pulling the cap off the Dist will reveal a points mechanism that rides
on a fibrous or felt nubbin that in turn rides over four peaks on the
shaft of the Dist.

Breakerless (or Electronic) Ign has a Hall Sender plug on the side of
the Dist that leads to a small square module up in the rain tray.

Pulling the cap looks  at a wagon wheel type thing with a magnetic
pick up instead of any physical contact like the older style.

In most parts of the world 80-81 was the cut over year.

TBerk