OT garage floor coatings

 From a prior post.

From: "Theron Ross" <theron@tns.net>
To: "Larry" <rocco16v@netzero.com>, "'Brian C Barrows'" <ferret100@juno.com>,
    <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Subject: RE: semi OT: garage floor sealing
Sender: scirocco-l-admin@scirocco.org
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 22:49:13 -0800

At the end of December I painted the garage floor in my new house. I used a
two-part epoxy that is available at Home Depot, although I bought mine from
Dixieline. It's called Litex and it's tintable to whatever color you want
and there are also ugly stock colors to choose from. I went with one of the
colors in their brochure called Nassau blue. I think it was $25-$30 for the
gallon kit and the lady at Dixieline tinted it for me. It comes in a bucket
with the two parts inside other containers inside the bucket.

Prep was a bitch, as the floor had been previously painted with regular
paint. Steps for preparation:
1. Cleaned with Simple Green and water--rubbing it with a push broom.
2. Wire brushed the whole floor on my hands and knees trying to get up any
of the old paint that might peel.
3. Applied a concrete cleaner recommended to me by the woman at Dixieline.
Big Mistake!! The stuff was super toxic and worked like paint remover. So
then all of the old paint started to come up. I'll skip this part if I ever
4. Spent another day scraping off most of the old paint that had lifted from
the damn chemical the woman sold me for $12.
5. Sprayed it with lots of water to make sure all of that chemical was gone.

Application was very easy. I mixed the whole thing at once thinking that I
would only get one coat out of the one gallon. (Two thin coats is
recommended). I was able to do my standard, two-car garage in two easy coats
with just a bit left over from the gallon kit.

Final result: I love it! It is very cool. My new garage floor is now clean
and has a nice smooth texture to it. I haven't driven on it yet because the
garage is now filled with all the crap from moving. But it seems to be
extremely abrasion resistant from my experience moving furniture over it and
dropping several different things on it during the move--ladders, etc.

As a side note, I have a little experience with floor painting since our
factory floor at work is painted. We paint it every year and spend tons of
money on it--$25 grand for the year 2000. We use expensive two-part epoxy
and it lifts all over the place because we never prepared it correctly (plus
the fact that the forklifts do a fair share of damage).

Preparation is the key. When I painted my garage with the Litex, I couldn't
wait to break out the paint and start painting. But I held back and made
sure that the surface was super clean before starting.